Jesus Christ Supplies Our Every Need
Wayne and Terry Partain
A. What did the people want when Jesus came from heaven and walked on earth?
1. Bodily healing
a. As today, we are willing to invest a thousand dollars monthly just to buy medical insurance. Pay another hundred or more monthly for membership in a Fitness Center. Maybe spend another hundred a month on vitamins, supplements, special foods or whatever is recommended by Alternative Medicine to keep us healthy or heal our frequent ailments.
b. John 20:30, 31 Jesus did many signs, often healing the hopelessly sick, and some of these have been written that we might believe, and that believing we might have Life in His name.
2. Loaves and fishes
a. John 6:26 they sought Jesus because He fed them
b. John 6:35 but Jesus wanted to give them the Bread of Life.
3. Political salvation
a. John 6:15 they wanted to make Jesus king by force if necessary
b. Jesus did not attack political systems. He did not advocate for “Democracy.”
c. Jesus attacked corrupted hearts, Mark 7:20-23
I. Man is ignorant. He needs the revelation of God.
A. Ignorance if fatal
1. Acts 3:17 out of ignorance they crucified Christ, the Savior of the world.
2. Romans 10:1-3 ignoring the righteousness of God, they went about to establish their own
B. Jesus revealed the Father
1. John 1:18
2. John 14:9
3. Colossians 2:9
C. Man walks in darkness and needs the light of Christ
1. John 1:4, 5 He was the light of men. The darkness could not overcome.
2. John 8:12 Light of the world
3. John 12:35, 36, 46
II. Man has lost his way. He is weak and foolish.
A. Jesus is the Way back to truth and righteousness in the daily walk of men.
1. Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray.
2. John 14:4-6 Thomas: We don’t know where you are going. How can we know?
-- “I am the Way, the Truth, the Righteousness…”
3. The Way was persecuted.
a. Acts 9:2; 22:4 Saul of Tarsus persecuted the Way, thought it was his obligation.
b. The Way implies a doctrine both to be believed and practiced, a way to believe, think, and live.
B. Jesus is the Shepherd that we need to lead us in the Way.
1. Jeremiah 10:23 “I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.”
2. Psalm 23 “The Lord is my Shepherd; … He leads me beside still waters…He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake…”
3. John 10:11-15 I am the Good Shepherd (Ezekiel 34)
C. Jesus is the King, the Captain of our salvation
1. Hebrews 2:10 bringing many sons to glory (5:8, 9; 12:2)
2. John 19:19 born to be King to provide the leadership that we need.
a. to fight the good fight of faith, 2 Timothy 4:7-8
b. against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places, Ephesians 6:10-20.
c. the kingdom of Christ will prevail, Matthew 16:18-19.
3. 1 Corinthians 15:24 When Jesus comes to reward His servants, His kingdom willhave fought the last battle and be crowned with righteousness.
III. Man is hungry and needs mourishment.
A. Matthew 5:6 hunger and thirst for righteousness.
B. John 4:10-14 woman at the well – thirst for waters that only Jesus could give.
C. John 6:32-35 Bread of life
-- v. 68 Peter asked, “to whom shall we go”
D. John 15:1 Jesus is the true Vine, we are the branches in Him
E. Man wants more than just this earthly life.
1. John 6:39, 44 I will raise him up on the last day.
2. John 11:25 I am the resurrection and the life.
IV. Man is lost because of the guilt of his sins. He needs a Savior.
A. How is man going to save himself?
1. Human philosophy is vain
a. 1 Corinthians 1:21
b. Colossians 2:8
2. Animal sacrifices, even human sacrifices cannot save.
a. Hebrews 10:4-5 the blood of bulls and goats cannot take away sins.
b. Micah 6:6-8 even your firstborn son cannot die for you. Only God’s way matters
B. Only Jesus can forgive and save our souls
1. Acts 2:32-38